Monday, November 20, 2006

Patience...the Never Ending Theme to My Life

Ah, patience. The one word that has been a theme of my life.

“Waiting patiently is suffering through the present moment, tasting it to the full, and letting the seeds that are sown in the ground on which we stand grow into strong plants." -Henri Nouwen

How hard yet how true are these words. Sometimes it seems as if life would be easier if we could turn off emotion and just ride out the storm, but I don’t think that is what the Lord wants us to do. I think He wants us to taste the suffering as well as the sweetness that life throws at us. To embrace the hard times knowing that sometimes the Lord uses fire to refine us and make us shine more brightly like Him, to make us to reflect more and more his beauty.

Lord, help me to remember these words when in the midst of suffering and in the midst of patient waiting that seems like it will never end.

No comments: