Friday, July 07, 2006

sisters becoming friends

today i am thinking a lot about my sisters. siblings are funny things. one moment you love them and would do anything for them and the next you want them to go away, never to return. because of the age gaps (4 years between me and one, and 6 years between me and the other) and because of our temperaments, i would usually get along with the baby of the family while me and the middle child would be at each others throats. sure we would have our moments of piece and goodwill toward one another but more often i think my mom would have liked to lock us in separate rooms where we couldn't beegging the other on to anger and frustration. me and the youngest, on the other hand, because there was such an age gap, usually got along great. she was my little sister. i took her under my wing. i showed her off to my friends. when i was in 6th grade and her kindergarten class was next door to mine, i made sure she got there ok and even brought her in to hang out with the "big kids" from time to time.

the cool thing is that as we have grown older the age gap has seemed to become smaller and smaller. my sisters are turning into my confidants and friends. i miss them when i don't get to see them very often. i have spent much money on gas to go and visit for a day because i know it is worth it. it excites me to think how far we have come-from being people forced to share space, breathing air and toys, to people who plan time to be together, to people who call one another to lean on, to people who enjoy spending time together. oh, we still have those moments of frustration and anger towards one another but it's ok because i know my sisters love me. and i know that no matter what happens that they will stick by me, faults, obnoxious habits, and all!

3 comments:

Anita said...

Growing up with an older brother was definitely different than 2 younger sisters, but I love the relationship God has given us, as kids and adults. It IS interesting to see how those relationships grow and mature over time. Family is family no matter what!

J.D. Girl

Anita said...

p.m. my favorite color is blue...black and silver are second and third runners up. (in response to the "kari, what's your favorite color, smith"). Nice name!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwweeee! we did blossom into a WONDERFUL friendship didnt we... remember this "i love kari smith, love your sister andrea smith" hahahahaha what nuts we were!