Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Triathlon Training

As you may or may not know, I started training for a triathlon last month (January). The prospect of completing a race like this is really invigorating and a little bit scary. Having exercise induced asthma makes something like this a very daunting challenge. Because of the asthma it takes me quite awhile to build up the breathing endurance, and often I get impatient. This past week of training was one of those times. Training really kicked my butt.  It was truly an act of the will to drag myself to the Y everyday knowing that I wouldn't leave for at least and hour and a half. After the workouts I always feel great but in the midst of them I would question why I was putting myself through this torture.  Thankfully, I am not training for this race alone and my fellow trainers were there to encourage and pick me up. I think that this will definitely be a test of my self discipline and my will. I am encouraged to have already seen results, but I know that I still have a long road ahead of me. 

Here's to a test of my will!  

2 comments:

Anita said...

Yeehaw Kari Smith! I am totally PROUD of you for training for this race! You pretty much rock my face off! I just read your blog and got caught up on the happenings and deep thoughts of Kari. I LOVE the TRUST quote from Brennan. SO, true, yet SO hard. I appreciated your "enough" poem thing too. You are truly an artist at heart...reflective, poetic, expressive...a great artist. Blessings on you friend!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were training for a triathlon! You go girl! I'm so excited that I can access blogspot again...Israel doesn't ban it the same way Ethiopia did! I am about to have my falafel/kabob leftovers...amazing! See you soon!!!
love,
swandig