Monday, April 14, 2014

Unleashing Creativity


One way I want to unleash my inner artist and work on creativity is through the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I was given this book as a gift about 4 years ago and have been meaning to do it ever since. And now I am. It is a 12 week program that "takes readers on an amazing twelve-week journey to discover the inextricable link between their spiritual and creative selves...it has inspired millions to overcome the limit beliefs and fears that can inhibit the creative process." I am entering into this 12-week journey with equal parts excitement and nervousness!

I started week 1 today and the first thing we had to do was to write down affirmations about our creativity and then record the negative thoughts, or Blurts, that came along with them. It was a really interesting process and good to record all of the negative thoughts that come into my mind as I try to embrace who God has made me to be. My Censor (the nasty internal critic who keeps up a running dialogue of subversive remarks that are masked as truth) has a field day when I start to pursue my creativity.

Here's slightly what he looks like...

In my head his suit is a lot more wrinkly, he has a raspy voice and he looks a little bit more like a mobster. Not sure where that image came from but that is what I picture when I think about my Censor. He will be the one I think I will come up against the most in this journey. Hopefully at the end of it all I will have learned how to silence his voice...or better yet, converted it to encouragement rather than criticism.

Each week of this journey consists of reading, some tasks to help my creativity and a check-in with myself. My other tasks for this week are to take myself on an artists date (2+ hour date doing something that will peak my imagination, this is a weekly occurrence), do Morning Pages (3 pages of stream-of-concisousness writing, also an every week task) that are done each day, and 3 other tasks that I need to choose from a list of 8 given in the book.

Let the unleashing begin...

2 comments:

Liz C. said...

Artist's date, that sounds fun! This is cool, Kar, can't wait to hear more about it.

Katrina said...

Boom! Super pumped to be doing this with you and to hear more of your creative story.:)